Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction
Mindfulness classes in London and internationally via Skype
The Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction course, or MBSR, is empowering for participants with wide-ranging physical and psychological conditions; helping people feel better, sleep better and cope with stressful situations. Mindfulness can instill feelings of well-being, confidence and rejuvenation to restore the body, relax the mind and calm the spirit. It was pioneered by Jon Kabat-Zinn, Ph.D. at the University of Massachusetts Medical Center, USA and mindfulness approaches are now widely accepted.
What does the course involve?
You will learn mindfulness meditation and gentle mindful yoga, with teaching elements around working with stress in everyday life. You can sit in a chair or on the floor as you prefer, and the overall atmosphere is warm and welcoming. As part of the programme, participants are invited to do home practice for 30-45 minutes a day with instructional audio.
Who could benefit from MBSR?
People from all walks of life attend MBSR classes to learn how to manage stress with varying levels of intensity. The course is can support people experiencing signs of stress: irritability, muscle tension, feeling overwhelmed, burn out, apathy, restlessness, headaches, anxiety, fatigue, stomach distress, difficulty in concentrating, worry, over-work, substance abuse, smoking, eating & sleeping disturbances in daily life and want to promote healthy living.
It also complements the medical management of illness, chronic pain and stress-related conditions such as: Anxiety & Panic, Chronic pain, Sleep disturbances, Cancer, AIDS, Heart disease, High Blood Pressure, Asthma, Gastrointestinal disorders, Arthritis/Fibromyalgia and many other medical conditions.
The MBSR course is 8 weeks long plus a daylong; clinical trials are based on this format. The daylong is an essential part of the course during and following which many participants have significant turning points in their learning.
During an MBSR course you will:
▪ Learn how to work more effectively with stress
▪ Learn the theory and practice of Mindfulness Meditation
▪ Enhance everyday living through applying Mindfulness in your personal and professional life
▪ Learn gentle mindful yoga stretches suitable for every-body
▪ Gain skills that promote healthful living and wellness
Participants have stated that they feel less judgmental and critical of themselves and subsequently to others. Many also report a decrease of the frequency and length of medical visits to hospitals, emergency rooms, and health care professional offices. There has also been a noticeable decrease in the use of prescription and non-prescription medications, and an improvement in emotion regulation, learning and memory processes.
Benefits shown in clinical research in MBSR:
• 70% reduction in anxiety
• Fewer visits to your GP
• An ongoing reduction in anxiety three years after taking an MBSR course
• An increase in disease-fighting antibodies, suggesting improvements to the immune system
• Longer and better quality sleep, with fewer sleep disturbances
• A reduction in negative feelings like anger, tension and depression
• Improvements in physical conditions as varied as psoriasis, fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue syndrome.
To keep up to date with events, please join the Mailing List